Payment Policy:

To confirm your booking, you need to pay at least 10% of the total booking cost within 24 hours of booking the trip. Additionally, 30% of the total bill must be paid at the time of booking, and the remaining 70% should be paid before 30 days of the departure date. If you don’t follow this payment policy, your booking may be canceled without prior notice.

Cancellation Policy:

If you cancel up to 30 days before the departure date, you’ll be charged 20% of the total ticket value. Cancellations within 30 days of departure will result in a 100% charge. If you fail to pay the 30% amount within a month of booking or three months before the travel date (whichever is sooner), your booking will be canceled without notice, and the amount received will not be refunded.

General Policies:

All guests must have a valid ID proof (Voter’s ID Card, Passport, or Driver’s License) during check-in. PAN cards are not accepted. The tour captain can take strict actions against guests for inappropriate behavior. Different tours may have different policies. Guests are responsible for paying for any damages, except normal wear and tear. Some policies are specific to each booking and will be communicated during booking. We can change these terms at any time, and any changes will be effective immediately.

Circumstances Beyond Our Control:

We won’t compensate, reimburse expenses, or cover losses if, due to circumstances beyond our control (e.g., war, natural disasters, etc.), we have to change or cannot provide the agreed-upon tour.

Refund Policy:

If the tour is canceled for avoidable or unavoidable reasons, there will be no refund under any circumstance. Refunds for canceled services or experiences, for which KRISHNA TRAVELS is responsible, will be given as credit notes only, with no cash refunds.